Colt Single Action Army

One of several revolvers found in use by the miners at Blair Mountain.

The Colt Single Action Army — also known as the Model P, Peacemaker, M1873, Single Action Army, SAA, and Colt 45 — is a single action revolver with a revolving cylinder holding six metallic cartridges. It was designed for the U.S. government service revolver trials of 1872 by Colt’s Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company and was adopted as the standard military service revolver until 1892.

The Colt Single Action Army revolver (along with the 1870 and 1875 Smith and Wesson Model 3 (“Schofield”) revolvers) replaced the Colt 1860 Army Percussion revolver. The Colt quickly gained favor over the S&W and remained the primary US military sidearm until 1892 when it was replaced by the .38 Long Colt caliber Colt Model 1892, a double action revolver with swing-out cylinder. By the end of 1874, serial no. 16,000 was reached; 12,500 Colt Single Action Army revolvers chambered for the .45 Colt cartridge had entered service and the remaining revolvers were sold in the civilian market.

The Colt Bisley was introduced in 1894 as a target pistol. The most common calibers were .32-20, .38-40, .45 Colt, .44-40, .41 Colt, and the British calibers .450 Eley and .455 Eley. The total number of 44,350 were manufactured. The production of the Bisley was terminated in 1912, but the serial No. 331916 was shipped after the First World War. Most Bisley Standard Model Revolvers which were shipped to a United States address were not used for target shooting but for self-defense because the grip and hammer were ideal for fast shooting.

Advertisements
Published in: on March 12, 2012 at 9:13 pm  Comments Off on Colt Single Action Army  
Tags: , , , ,
%d bloggers like this: